1. Register for the 8 hour “Guard Card” course and pay the $99 entry fee through PayPal (You do not need a PayPal account).
2. Complete the course and pass the written test with 70%.
3. Bring course completion paperwork to the State Police Licensing Unit* along with the following items: (See step 4)
4. An additional $100, plus fingerprint card** with two Cashiers Checks or Money Orders, one for $50 (December 1, 2017 fee will be $75) and the other $14.75, payable to the Treasurer, State of Connecticut.
5. A criminal history background check will be run on the prospective applicant. The applicant will be notified of the approval or denial of the certification identification card.
6. Once certified, you can apply to the many security companies spread throughout the state.
7. Get hired and enjoy a rewarding career in security.
8. Take additional certification courses offered by STA to build your resume and knowledge.
**State of Connecticut
Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection
Division of State Police-HQ
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457 Telephone (860) 685-8290
**Fingerprint cards can be obtained at your local police department or the State Police